Welcome!

Thank you visiting ICB - Iceberg Code Blog
This is the place, where I'd like to share ideas and some useful code (VB, Excel, T-SQL, JavaScript, ...)
Table of Content

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Why do I program?

I started programming at school for an exam, and I thought all I need was to pass it. That's was right, but when I started working I couldn't get enough to be just a small end-user who have to thanks any junior or (pseudo)senior programmer telling me that all can be done, but ... they never did.

One day my father teach me that:
"If a stupid more stupid than you did it, why can't you get it?"

This was for my driving licence, but till now it worked out for almost anything.
Maybe I could write the first "one row" self help book with this phrase. I'll think about it!

... so I started use Excel and all its functions, but it wasn't enough, I wanted more, so I re-started learning programming.

How to learn?
Well I did some macro recording, but the code was not flexible enough so I pick a book with some VBA Examples (Laboratorio di VBA)
It was not enough ...
So I got the Walkenbach bible (in French) Excel 2000 - programmer avec VBA

It was enough! from now on, to get more I had to browse the web and to do my own.
It's always a matter of equilibrium:
What you should let excel do and when let VBA start play.
How to organise your data and your spreadsheet.
This is just a matter of experience (stratified error)

Just to better illustrate my point of view I've been a little far from VBA to VB with Balena (Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0)
But after a little bit of hesitation I come back to Excel and VBA because I usually be the end-user of my creation so I need just a flexible tool fast, quick and ... clean.

If you start build your own forms with VB you get creasy counting pixels to arrange all the objects you put on it, and after all I don't want to rebuild Excel to manipulate the output/input.

Know I feel comfortable with VBA, SQL, Javascript, HTML and of course Excel,
and I have to thank all the author of books and web site,
with a special thank to Joel Spolsky
... but maybe, most of all I should thank all the people who ask and answer groups!


Thank you

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home